03 8677 0864
0401 889 475


Level 23, Tower 5, Collins Square,
727 Collins Street,
Melbourne, VIC 3008


* Required fields

External Resources

The Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB) is a Council of Australian Government (COAG) standards writing body that is responsible for the development of the National Construction Code (NCC), comprised of the Building Code of Australia (BCA) and the Plumbing Code of Australia (PCA). 

The Australian Institute of Building Surveyors (AIBS) is recognised nationally and internationally as the peak professional body representing building surveying practitioners in Australia.

The Country Fire Authority (CFA) is Victoria's volunteer fire service, operating across the State to reduce the occurrence and impacts of fire and other emergencies. 

The CFA are a reporting authority under the Building Regulations 2018 for building permits where a deviation from the Deemed-to-Satisfy provisions are of the BCA is proposed in respect of fire safety matters.

Fire Rescue Victoria (FRV) is a modern fire and rescue service that meets the needs of 21st century Victoria, serving and protecting communities across Melbourne and Victoria's major regional centres.

FRV are a reporting authority under the Building Regulations 2018 for building permits where a deviation from the BCA Deemed-to-Satisfy fire safety provisions BCA is proposed.

The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) regulates building and plumbing practitioners to ensure the achievement of efficient and competitive building and plumbing industries in Victoria.

Frequently Asked Questions

What do building surveyors do?

Building surveyors provide independent oversight of buildings and building work throughout the construction process and upon completion of construction to ensure that buildings are safe for use, accessible and energy efficient. 

They do this by:

  • assessing and approving (where appropriate) applications for building permits
  • undertaking inspections of buildings and building work
  • approving building occupation/use (where appropriate).
Can building surveyors give design advice?

When appointed as a permit-issuing relevant building surveyor (RBS), building surveyors can only give compliance advice and are generally restricted from giving design advice such as suggesting compliance options or cost-saving Performance Solutions.

However, when not appointed as the RBS, building surveyors can be a valuable member of the project design team, helping to guide the design toward compliance and highlighting efficient and cost-saving design options and strategies that that cannot be proposed by the RBS.

Why should I choose Ryan Building Consulting?

Our team have extensive experience across multiple industry sectors, coupled with a practical, proactive and approachable manner.

With a focus on keeping things moving, we offer tailored advice that is specific to the needs of your project, cutting through complexity wherever possible, explaining as we go.

Do all building works require a building permit?

Schedule 3 of the Building Regulations 2018 outline the scenarios where a building permit is not required.  All other building works require a building permit.

What if I’m not happy with the service provided by Ryan Building Consulting?

Customer service is at the heart of what we do and we always aim to strike the right balance between client objectives and regulatory compliance. 

However, in the unlikely event that we have missed the mark, please send details in writing to outlining the nature of the complaint.  

We will acknowledge the complaint within 7 days, provide you with a copy of our complaints handling procedure and work with you to ensure a satisfactory resolution.